Sunday, October 28, 2007

Rough Script

FADE IN:

EXT. NEAR A CITY BUILDING – EVENING

The scene opens on a rock flying through the air directly in front of the camera in a black and white world. The camera catches up to the rock, and the shot is now from the rock’s point of view as it sails towards a building window. About 15 feet from the window is where the camera stops following the rock, and we watch as it hits the building window, and the glass shatters and falls to the ground below. I.P. (male glass creature made from several shards of the broken window) forms here and quickly looks around the area to find out what is going on. CUT to I.P. looking to his left as he sees a tall glass sculpture out across a field, and CUT back to I.P. looking to his right at the empty streets in the city behind him. Other glass creatures are hurrying towards the sculpture, and they want I.P. to come with them. The glass creatures are trying to get as high in the air that they possibly can because they want to get away from the city and live in the clouds. I.P. wants to join them in this goal, but he also wants to try to be an individual and do things for himself. Because of this reluctance to join them, I.P. is left to reach the sculpture on his own.

EXT. CITY’S EDGE – EVENING

I.P. has reached the edge of the city, but he now sees the treacherous and troublesome landscape that he’ll have to face before he can reach the glass sculpture across the field. CUT to I.P. at the edge of the city and a panoramic shot of the terrain that he will have to cross. The viewer sees a river near the edge of the city, a huge barren field except for a few trees and the glass sculpture, and mountains on the other side of the field. CUT back to I.P. as he begins his journey across the terrain.

EXT. EDGE OF RIVERBANK – EVENING

I.P. looks over the edge of a riverbank and seems frightened. This is because the glass creatures are afraid of water. CUT to I.P. searching the area for something to help him across the river. He finds a long board and carries it off-screen. CUT to I.P. placing the board from the edge of the river to a rock that rest in the middle of it. I.P. then jumps to another rock and finally to the other side of the river, crossing the first big obstacle of his journey. During this river-crossing, I.P. loses a few shards of his being, and he thinks that these pieces are necessary. He feels almost as if he can’t go on without them, but he knows he has to continue and reach the sculpture before the sun sets and he can no long see because of the darkness. He continues across the field, and he is slowly becoming tired, but he is still able to see his goal in the distance, and he knows that he doesn’t have much time before sunset.

EXT. BELOW THE GLASS SCULPTURE – NEAR SUNSET

It has taken some time, but I.P. has finally gotten to the glass sculpture in the middle of this barren field. The sculpture is surrounded by rocks below in order to protect from invaders, and I.P. now must find a way to climb the rocks and get to his peers in the sculpture. CUT to I.P. as he begins climbing the rocks below the glass sculpture. The viewer can see the difficulty of crossing this obstacle in the body language and actions of the character here. I.P. finally reaches the sculpture and now has to climb it and get to the top before the sun sets. CUT to I.P. as he begins climbing his peers. The climb is not easy, and his time is running out. He will not be able to continue after sunset because he won’t be able to see after dark in a black and white world. CUT to the sun beginning to set behind the mountains. CUT back to I.P. as he nears the top of the sculpture. We see I.P. slip and almost fall off the sculpture completely, but one of his glass shards catches on a piece of another glass creature. He climbs the rest of the way up the sculpture and reaches the top just before the sun sets completely. CUT to the sun once again. CUT back to I.P. at the top of the glass sculpture. Suddenly the sun hits I.P., and, without the glass shard that he thought he needed, a beautiful prism is created. CUT to the panoramic view of the whole scene again as the world is flooded with color. CUT to a close-up of the entire glass sculpture as we see the intense colors that the glass creatures are and the happiness of the glass creature community.

FADE TO BLACK

No comments: