Saturday, April 5, 2008

more defined plans...

After ironing out my ideas more thoroughly, I have decided to make a few changes to this story/idea. The piece has a new working title, which is "MimeMan", and a bit of a modified character. The main character, the male doll, is now a mime on a shelf in a store. No one seems to take any interest in mime dolls, and he's been on the shelf for a while, even after having his price marked down. His shelf location puts him right next to a tv, and, at night, he turns the tv so he can watch. While flipping channels one night, he comes across a tv show with dancers doing a hip-hop, robot style of dance. Being bored, and confined to his "glass box", he decides that he will try to do this kind of dance. After a few attemps he seems to have it down. Now he can use this new talent to try to sell himself and get off the shelf. Does he want to be more human, or do humans want to be more like him?...

2 comments:

Brittany said...

I think you have a nice start. It seems really long to do right now unless you can get it done. The one thing I don't feel I see is a full character arc. I think there needs to be a pinnacle moment where he has to decide if he wants to keep mimicking humans. Perhaps one of his legs gets broke because he's not necessarily meant to move that way. A different idea would be to compare how humans try to be "not-human," so a doll trying to be "human." It'd be sweet if you knew a person that could dance really well and show the clips side by side.

Karly said...

I think this is a better idea. This way you have an original story. From my stop motion, I found that it was really hard to pose my character! She kept falling all over the place. I think it would be hard to mimic dance moves, but if you have the hang of it then I think it will be awesome. From the tests you showed it class it looks like you do. It might be good enough to just have the doll do the dance moves if you start running out of time. You could keep it simple.